If you’re looking to name a sword, chances are you’re looking for the coolest name you can find.
I’d imagine a name that makes sense as a sword name, but doesn’t sound badass enough probably isn’t a good option for a sword name because, well really, why bother naming a sword if you aren’t going to give it a really awesome sounding name?
So I’ve done my best to include logical names yes, but more interesting, cool, and badass sounding names for swords in my list. Though I could definitely use more ideas and recommendations if you have some, so please do leave any in the comments if you have a moment.
My guess is that if you’re looking for sword names, chances are pretty high it’s for a fictional piece you’re working on, like a book, series of novels, a movie script, or something along those lines.
And obviously, if that’s the case, wicked! Congrats on trying to flex your creativity, and I’d love to know more about the fictional work you’re writing (what type it is, whether you’ve got a plot or not, what the characters are like, and where the sword comes into play) in the comments below.
I think others may stumble across this article looking for good names for their swords if they’re naming a sword in a video game. Maybe you roleplay in an MMO or just want a cool name for a sexy glam you got for your tank. Either way, I’d love to know the backstory, so again, please take to the comments if you’ve got a moment to spare and can share why you’re digging for a cool name for a sword.
There’s a lot out there in terms of good names. A lot of the names I’ve come up with are colour or element based, so I’ve got a section on those if your sword is, say, red and fire based, and you want a name that’s specific to that.
There are plenty of other general names that would work with any sword, and I have a section that recommends words that would make good sword names when they’re combined, so you can customize a longer name if that’s more up your alley than a single word name.
Epic, Awesome, Badass, & Cool Names for Swords
Single Words That Make Good Names for Swords
- Ruthless (Ruth could be a good nickname)
Cool German Words That Make Great Names for Swords
- Schadenfreude (meaning: the feeling of taking pleasure in another’s misfortune)
- Krieg (meaning: war)
- Blutrausch (meaning: bloodlust)
- Rache (meaning: vengeance)
- Böswilligkeit (meaning: malevolence)
- Weltschmerz (meaning: the feeling of disappointment in the state of the world)
- Backpfeifengesicht (meaning: a face that needs to be slapped)
- Verschlimmbesserung (meaning: making things worse then they already are)
- Waldeinsamkeit (meaning: the feeling of solitude)
- Mutterseelenallein (meaning: the feeling of being completely isolated and abandoned)
Cool Warfare Terms That Make Great Sword Names
- Scorched Earth (deliberately destroying your own resources to prevent your enemies from being able to use them)
Funny Names for Swords
- Unhappy Ending
- The Pen
- Bigge Smallsword
- Rolled Up Newspaper (RUN)
- Ounce (ironic as the Norse sword name is Gram)
- Turkey Carver
- Walking Stick
- Big Stick
- Cavity Search
Sword Name Generator
Your Thoughts on Sword Names?
Do you have any ideas for good sword names that didn’t make it to this list? What are they?
Do you like the idea of having a single-word name for a sword or a multi-word name?
What are your favourite sword names (included in this list or otherwise)?
And (just out of curiosity) – what sword are you naming? Is it for a fictional piece? Are you naming a sword in a game? What names do you think you might end up using?
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts in the comments below.
Leave a Reply